Hot Cross Bun and Butter Pudding - Happy birthday to me ...

Here we are again, the day I look forward to the most during the year ... my birthday.
It's the day when I am queen, when I am allowed to wear a crown of flowers and walk around in my widest petticoat no matter where I'm going even if it is a farm or going on a clifftop walk on my favourite Sussex coastal path.
Today - I bloom - like fiery red flower in a colorless world.



It's a big birthday this year -29- for the second time. Some part of me wanted to do a big party, another part just wanted it to blow over. I decided on a last minute posh afternoon tea at Kensington palace with my friends Sassy and Jo when we were gathered in London for Bruno's exhibition.
I had a special dress, made by my friend Jo, you might remember her from her Hotpot recipe a few months ago. Jo designs and produces beautiful bespoke wedding and special occasion gowns and after months of working on the design together it was ready to flaunt when we went for our Afternoon tea.

I call it my England dress, it shows the story behind my love for this country and its ways in an illustration Bruno designed and Jo embroidered onto the dress. I felt tears coming to my eyes when she revealed the dress... Aren't I a lucky lady ...
Jo's craft-wo-manship is exquisite, the detail is amazing. Her brodeuse captured Bruno's every line, flower and every tiny apple. The dress is all kinds of perfect and if you know me -being a perfectionist- I hardly ever find things perfect...
It is a special feeling when a friend makes you a dress, it will never feel completely mine, it will always be hers as well. 
Thank you darling Jo, for making me the most special dress in the world x Thank you my dear friend Sassy for taking these pictures as a keepsake to remember  x


A few of you were eager to see my dress so if you aren't interested in a girl running around in a red dress feeding swans and getting attacked by squirrels - scroll all the way down for a good pudding!

Earlier this week I posted my recipe for Hot Cross Buns, while testing the recipe I had mountains of buns leftover and I didn't want to waste them so I froze them. Now I use the buns to make my Hot Cross Bun and Butter Pudding. I guaranty you that a Bread and Butter Pudding has never tasted better! As the Hot Cross Buns contains spices and currants already, there is no need to add more.
Enjoy lovely people x  













Now for a sweet treat ...

Hot Cross Bun and Butter Pudding




What do you need
2 enamel 20cm pie dishes
2-3 stale hot cross buns sliced in 1 cm wide slices
butter
350ml/12fl oz whole milk
50ml/2fl oz double cream
2 free-range eggs
2 teaspoons of light brown demerara sugar
2 teaspoons of raw cane sudar to sprinkle on top
Nutmeg, grated to taste

Method
  • Butter 1 side of the hot cross bun slices
  • Arrange a layer of bun slices, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the dish.
  • Gently warm the milk and cream in a pan over a low heat to scalding point, be careful not to let it boil.
  • Crack the eggs into a bowl, add three the sugar and lightly whisk until pale
  • Add the warm milk and cream mixture to the eggs and stir well
  • Pour the custard over the prepared hot cross bun layers and sprinkle with nutmeg and the remaining sugar
  • Preheat the oven to 180C
  • Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is nicely golden-brown
Enjoy while warm!

You might also like
Hot Cross Buns -  paganism, christianity and superstition >
My vegan chocolate and beetroot birthday cake >

All pictures except for the ones with the Hot Cross Bun & Butter Pudding are copyright by the talented Sassy of Assassynation photography.
Gown handmade in Britain by The Couture Company in Birmingham.

29 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Regula! You look stunning and your dress as well as headpiece are just beautiful.

    This hot cross bun pudding is droolworthy...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosa, it's all thanks to Jo who made my dress and Sassy who captured it on photo :)

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday!! what a truly scrumptious dress :)
    together with the fascinator a perfect outfit
    I love the hot cross bun bread and butter pudding idea!
    Enjoy your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! : ) You look lovely, absolutely perfect,in fact! As does this pudding. The best thing is it's size, perfect for just the two of us. Thank you for another great recipe and a beautiful post. Have a very Happy Easter.

    Debs X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debs, I saw on twitter you made the pudding! Happy easter!

      Delete
  4. You look gorgeous in red, but I suppose you must know that already! Love the birthday bunting on this lovely, humble pudding. Best wishes, my dear! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear, I'm sure you would love this pudding, it is indeed humble but full of flavour x

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to you!
    You really chose a great way to live it. Your dress and style is impeccable. You're really an English glamorous woman.
    I love UK too. It was my biggest dream to live there. I can't stop me to consider its culture my point of reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you Rosella! You made me blush ;) England is great x

      Delete
  6. Anonymous29/3/13

    What a fun post. You look lovely in your new dress. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos of you, Regula! You and colour red are match made in heaven! I love the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Zita, I do love red :)

      Delete
  8. You are beautiful! Happy Birthday to you!!!

    That bread and butter pudding is a lovely idea. A Must try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday! I love the thread of red running through all these photos, and the pudding as well as the dress look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I do love red! :)

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday ;)! thid dress is very beautiful!

    maybe we can follow each other? just let me know ;)!

    kisses from

    http://www.cristinasurdu.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Christina, I will have a browse on your blog right now ;)

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday! Beautiful photos and a gorgeous looking pudding - I have some buns in the freezer which I'd love to use in this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling, I also have some buns in the freezer, especially to bake this pudding. In fact I think from now on I wil make buns especially for this pudding :)

      Delete
  12. Happy belated birthday Regula! I think I missed that one.. ;( You look totally gorgeous and don't we all become 29 multiple times? But then again.. it gets worse when you celebrate your 49th for the 2nd time! Lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone! Oh I can imagine, I felt so silly having a hard time turning 30 :)

      Delete
  13. Happy belated birthday Regula, I love your photos are stunning!!! and love your blog!! Im following you!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Gloria, welcome to the blog :)

      Delete
  14. How fabulous to have someone who can make such a wonderful dress for you. I'm not surprised you felt so special on your birthday. Great recipe too. GG

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous post! I love everything!
    Chears!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must be living on another planet :) I just discovered your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You looked stunning!! loved working on this and love the swans too... we must now create a swan headpiece to crown your outfit xxxx
    good luck in the awards xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for you comment, I love hearing from you!