Asparagus ribbons and pomegranate pearls salad


























Spring is finally here.
The trees are parading their lovely blossoms and the days are starting to get longer again.
The thing I love most about spring are the colors, the vibrant green of the new leaves on the trees and plants. The scent of flowers and the snow of blossoms when the wind blows through the trees.
I enjoy sitting in the garden enjoying the first rays of sun, wearing a warm jumper and big scarf. I'm reading a cookbook and the leaves of the Magnolia flowers are tumbling down on the pages of my book like bookmarks pointing out delicious recipes.
It's quite chilly, apart from the blossoms the branches of the trees are still bare and showing off their slender forms.
I run inside with rosy cheeks and try to create spring on a plate.
The first green, the first flowers.

















































This dish is spring for me, welcoming one of my favourite veg: the green asparagus.
Green asparagus aren't easy to come by where I' from. Mostly they are imported from Peru so I can only buy them the few times I can find them from local farms. There are loads of white asparagus, but I crave for the green ones. Asparagus grow red berries which are poisonous so here we have the pomegranate pearls to accompany the asparagus in color and in taste giving some acidity to the dish.

















































What do you need (serves 2-4)
1 bunch of green asparagus
half a cucumber
half a pomegranate
a bunch of Rucola
a handful of parmesan shavings
some good quality olive oil

Method
Use your mandolin or hand slicer to create ribbons from the asparagus.
You can use a knife, but try to slice it as thinly as possible.
Slice the cucumber into thin discs.
Wash you Rucola and arrange on a plate.
Remove the pearls from the pomegranate.

Boil salted water and blanch the asparagus, have a bowl with cold water standing by.
Remove the asparagus after you counted slowly to 10.
Add to the cold water to stop them cooking.
Arrange the slices of cucumber over the Rucola.
Dry the ribbons with some kitchen paper and arrange over the cucumber.
Sprinkle the pomegranate pearls over the dish.
Add the parmesan shavings
Drizzle some nice olive oil over the salad.
All done!

Lovely with a dry but flowery white wine.

Enjoy!

Next week I have a guest post for you!

Please leave a comment, I love reading them!


13 comments:

  1. A refined dish and great idea! I am so fond of asparagus.

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful salad. I will definitely make it! I also like the white ones. My parents grow white ones in their hobby garden. I cooked a simple soup from it and we loved it so much.

    I love the plate on the last photo. Where did you buy it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asparagus soup is so lovely and soothing!
      The plate is from Zara Home :)

      Delete
    2. I don't think there is Zara Home in Hungary. I might ask you to buy one for me and when we meet I'll pay for it. Is it possible?

      Delete
  3. O gorgeous Regula! I was waiting for your asparagus to appear... ;) I love green asparagus too. gorgeous clicks also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling, plenty more asparagus to come I'm afraid :) Love them so much!

      Delete
  4. wow! It's spectacular! I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks gorgeous! it actually reminds me of jewelry, what with the ruby-like pomegranate pearls and the sparkling white plate you put it on. and this is the first I've heard of asparagus ribbons. love the look of this dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You totally got here I was going!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful!! The salad, the freshness, the blog, you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regula, such a pretty, pretty dish. Great photography :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too gorgeous for words! An absolutely stunning post and a stunning salad.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for you comment, I love hearing from you!