Polpo Soho - London


























This was the perfect end to a spring day.
We went to London to visit the Chocolate festival, the weather was beautiful and the city buzzing because of the first warm spring day.
On our way to the underground we passed by Polpo in Soho to see if there was a long line waiting for dinner. Much to our luck the lovely lady told us it was only going to be a 30 minute wait for a table.
We drank our aperitif at the bar and had look trough the menu.
The dishes listed are classic Italian, served in 'Cicheti' small plates much like tapas.
B. and I like the concept of small plates, that way we can taste a lot of different things in one evening. Deciding between dishes is always very hard so now you don't have to choose, unless you want them all of course... We did, but decided to come back instead of ordering the whole menu in one go.



Polpo is housed in the ground flour of a 18th century building just around the corner of Carnaby street. The interior is rustic but still feels modern, it's casual and atmospheric.
We enjoyed the food, we had Arancini as a nibble and a few different things to share. The Mortadella, gorgonzola & pickled radicchio pizetta was our favourite. The dough had a lot of flavour and the fattiness of the Mortadella was delicious with the slightly sour pickled radicchio. 
The Brown crab and zucchini orecchiette had a decent amount of crab in it and tasted lovely and fresh. The only thing I was disapointed by was the beetroot & hazelnut salad, I wished it was raw beetroot but it was cooked. I personally don't like eating big lumps of cooked beetroot and I feel the dish could have been better with raw beetroot. But perhaps it's just me.
Finished of with a chocolate salami and strong coffee we were ready for the journey back to Sussex.


























We enjoyed our time at Polpo, perfect after a day in London when you want a relaxed dinner and good value for money. The music might have been a bit too loud and I noticed the couple next to us pointing out the same matter.
You can book a table for lunch but if you want to go in the evening, it can be a wait.
We were lucky as we didn't have to wait too long and for people like us who didn't have dinner reservations this really comes in handy.

41 Beak Street
London

*This is not a sponsored review, all food and drink was payed for by ourselves.


Please feel free to leave a comment, I enjoy reading them!

10 comments:

  1. A lovely place! I wish I could visit London and check out some of the restaurants there...

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm discovering some great places!

      Delete
  2. Will put this on my list to try next time we're in London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/5/12

    Chocolate Salami sounds amazing! There are so many eateries in Soho but I'm going to bookmark this one because I like tapas style of eating. let's you try lots of things. and i LOVE arancini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh it was amazing, I am really enjoying Soho. You should also try Bocca Di Lupo!

      Delete
  4. There has been so much buzz about this place.... hasn't there?
    Good on you for having the patience to wait for a table - 30 minutes isn't bad but I think if I were to visit, I'd probably go at lunch when they take reservations (I get really impatient when food is the subject :-D )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the Mortadella pizzeta looks amazing. I am going to Polpo next month I hope, will take note of what you ordered!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Regula , so nice to meet you in London . I've been yesterday night at Polpo ( someone told me of this place when I was still in Provence ) I liked the atmosphere , very Venitian-like and the waiters have been very very gentle with us . I agree that the music was maybe too loud so it was difficult to talk but I felt just 'at home' . About the food I've been a little bit disappointed : portions where too big to be called "cicchetti" ( I come from Venice so I know what I'm talking about) so I could just taste two things and I was done ( I love food but I can't eat big quantities as I'd like ) XXX from London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giuseppina, sorry I didn't reply sooner but here I am! It was lovely meeting you, I hope we'll meet again! I'm so happy you felt at home at Polpo! I think the portions might have been made bigger for the British public or something as indeed the real cicchetti are much much smaller. I love Venice, if you have a good place to go for cicchetti I would love to know :) xxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for you comment, I love hearing from you!