Food Revolution Day 2013 - The 'Last Night's Leftovers' lunch


There was a time when everyone knew how to cook, cooking skills used to be passed down from generation to generation but somewhere in the last decades it all went terribly wrong.

There are now millions of people who struggle to cook up a basic meal. If we don't take action now, soon there will be a generation without cooking skills and no knowledge to pass on to their children. It is of vital importance to our health and those of our children to eat well as obesity is spreading like a plague. But it's not only for our health but for community and family spirit, to sit down to enjoy a meal together and talk, to exchange recipes and to keep our food traditions which are historically and important alive.

Jamie Oliver says: “Food Revolution Day is all about people power.
I was amazed and massively inspired by our first global day of action last year. 
For me, this is one day for us all to get together and shout about the importance of food education and the need to share and pass on food knowledge and cooking skills. This is an opportunity to build better relationships with great food, whether that’s through hosting a big event like a farmers’ market or a small dinner for your mates and cooking everything from scratch. It’s about giving people
the knowledge and confidence to  cook using fresh ingredients and to make better choices about what they feed themselves and their families.
"

For last years Food Revolution a bunch of my food blogger friends and I joined forces for an online 'local food' potluck dinner. We all brought a dish to the virtual table that was local and sustainable. I brought mussels and Belgian fries - remember not to call them French ;)


This year I'm focusing on the workspace as we spend most of our time there. I myself tend to take my lunch box to work containing mostly the leftovers from dinner the night before or a quick spelt or couscous salad. Next to breakfast lunch is the most import meal of the day. It is to provide us with fuel for the work day. 



Inspired by my own lunchbox I came up with the idea of cooking everyone a 'Last Night's Leftovers' lunch pack. 
As I'm not at the office on friday the 17th, I decided to do an early Food Revolution event on tuesday. My 13 colleagues all ordered one, some even two lunch packs. The catering company and pop-up restaurant that is also housed in the old printing factory where my office is kindly donated me the use of their kitchen and ordered for the entire family. Bruno's colleagues, also graphic designers like the guys at my office and me also put in their order. I am thankful for the positive response and I hope people will bring in their leftovers more often now. I so enjoy a decent meal at lunch time, although I adore bread and cheese, it is not my idea for a working lunch.


Chilli con carne is one of mine and Bruno's favourite leftovers as it just gets better by the day. Naturally this was also the first thing I thought of when I put down some ideas for leftover dishes. I cooked up a veggie version and a meaty one and had plenty of salad on offer for on the side. I made lunch bags containing an apple, bread and a few little bunt cakes for dessert.
It was the first time in my life I cooked and served 30 people and although I was completely knackered, I was very happy.
The thing that made my day were the words of a five year old little girl named Pilar.
She is the daughter of Loes and Krikke from the catering company who had my
'Last Night's Leftovers' lunch pack for dinner. When her dad -the chef- put her to bed her final words were "Daddy we had such a delicious meal tonight, really yummy".



Thank you to all who supported Food Revolution by ordering my 'Last Night's Leftovers' lunch pack. Your fivers will all be going to 'The Better Food foundation'
You can still donate on the website of Food Revolution day.

Thanks to
Bruno, my husband for his support and help every time I get a grand idea.
My office, Volta, for donating the ingredients for the lunch • Loes & Krikke, for the donation of the use of their kitchen and their orders • the grandparents of Krikke for their lovely words of support while I was cooking in their sons kitchen • my colleagues at Volta for ordering their lunch packs and eating them with joy • the people from IWWU for ordering their lunch packsto the lady from Washington DC who wanted to order a lunch

I promise I'll add the recipe for my chilli con carne once I get home xxx








20 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing!!
    Ps. such an adorable apron Miss Foodwise;)
    Xo
    Sarah
    Attic Lace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesomeness!! I have taken leftovers for lunch for eons even when I was on the trading floor and despite all the gawking I received from my colleagues!! haha.. for me it was a case of 1. I loved my food. 2. It's healthy and cheap 3. There is no waste! :)

    I wish more people in the US would do that. There is a real need for lunch revolution here!

    Kudos to you hon, for executing this on such a scale so grandly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you for taking your lunch to work! And thank you x

      Delete
  3. A great idea! That chilli con carne looks scrumptious.

    I am a big fan of leftovers. Not only are they delicious, but also so much fun to cook with. Multiple dish can be created with them... Thankfully I have been raised in a family who respected food and understood its value, so you'll never see me wasting precious fares.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, we would hardly ever trow food away unless it gets forgotten which I can't remember happened a lot.

      Delete
  4. You are such an inspiration! I remeber well last year's potluck, so fun to make it happen! I always try to take my own lunch to work (usually salads), altough it might take some extra time and it would just be much easier to pop into a Pret and buy a salad there. But it's cheaper to take my own, plus I always know what goes in it and I just can have exactly what I fancy instead of choosing what to eat depending on the market offer. I love chilli the day after too, it just taste better, you're right. I enjoy the veggie one made with black beans and sweet potato. Delight :)
    Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Packed lunches are the best, I used to have a lot of pains in my tummy after lunch at work. We get bread and cold cuts as a gesture from the company but since I started to pack my lunch again, like I had been doing all my life, the tummy pains were gone!
      xxx

      Delete
  5. How beautiful! I am hosting a Pizza Making Workshop tonight for Food Revolution Day, so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you! Hope it went well!

      Delete
  6. Miguel17/5/13

    Thank you, Regula, for all the time you spent cooking and organising last Monday till far over midnight. It was certainly extraordinary. We could taste that your 'leftover' was prepared with love and presented with a very sharp eye even for the smallest detail! Yummie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miguel for being the only one out of 14 colleagues to take the time to comment. I really appreciate this,and it makes me happy to know that at least one person of those I cooked for has read my plea for food. Food Revolution day is a day to share, to eat together and to have a think about our lives and what we can do to make a difference.

      Delete
  7. What a great, wonderful, brilliant thing!
    Awesome!
    Cooking is my best time of the day! I think it's creative and relaxing! I feel like a kid who's playing in the sand!

    Tchin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was a very interesting episode of River Cottage where Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was using leftovers in his Lancashire restaurant (the Canteen). It was very helpful ! Bravo for this experience !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and lovely meeting you!

      Delete
  9. Taking "last night's leftovers" could save your life (and your wallet, too).
    So, one of the best gift I made to my boyfriend is a lunch box: now every day is a new leftovers-lunch to invent :)

    Great initiative, great job with your chili (that I adore)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! And your boyfriend is very lucky, if I have enough lefovers he might get some in his lunchbox too :) :)

      Delete
  10. Your comments are so true - generations before us knew how to cook and did so with what they had. They used to make something for supper, now people buy something already made for supper. The spark needs to be relit. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous24/5/13

    Love it! I pack lunches for my 4 kids and husband everyday. It makes me happy to know what they are eating. Going to spend our summer holiday cooking and gardening!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for you comment, I love hearing from you!