Madeira cake to get you through the busy days


For years I thought Madeira cake was made with the fortified wine Madeira, I thought it was the English equivalent to an Italian Vin Santo cake, which is in fact made adding the Vin Santo.
Madeira cake is a closed textured cake that was designed in the 19th century to accompany a glass of Madeira and other sweet wines. It was a cake for the upper class, people who could afford to bake a dry crumbly cake that doesn't keep well and had to be enjoyed with a drink of some kind and best within two days before it would get too dry.
Precision and plenty of beating is required to achieve that close crumbly texture. You have to be a patient cook and the ingredients used must be of the best possible quality.


I searched all over for some more history facts behind this iconic cake, unfortunately there was little more information to be found. The cake only starts to appear in my cookery books from the 50s or 60s on.

I baked this Madeira cake on a sunday knowing the week ahead would be a busy one. For some reason I find it more pleasant to deal with hectic weekdays when I know I have a home made piece of cake to look forward too. B will have it for breakfast with his coffee, I will have one half at 11 and the other half at 4 with my Ear Grey tea. At moments when time is of an essence, all too often it is easier to go and get yourself an unhealthy processed snack. Although you shouldn't eat cake all day every day, I believe a home made bake is much healthier than a store bought. At least now you know the quality of the flour and eggs used, and you have the choice in choosing the best farmhouse butter instead of tasteless margarine that is too often used in store-bought cakes.

Although Madeira cake is made with wheat flour, I opted to use the more nutritious Spelt instead. I started from the oldest recipes I could find in my collection of vintage cookery books from Jane Grigson. This recipe appeared to me as the more traditional version as often lots of extra things are added to the cake like almond flour or candied mixed fruits. I think it very possible that in the 19th century each household would have had their own recipe for Madeira cake depending on the cooks choice.


Madeira Cake
Adapted from a recipe by Jane Grigson's 'English Food'

What do you need
  • 175 g good quality unsalted butter, soft not runny
  • 175 g caster sugar
  • 275 g spelt flour
  • 2 heaped teaspoons of baking powder (use only one when using wheat four)
  • 4 large free range eggs
  • grated zest of half an organic lemon
  • thin peels of zest of half an organic lemon for decoration
     
Method
  • Prepare a 18 cm - 20 cm round cake tin with greaseproof paper and set aside
  • Preheat your oven to 180° C
  • Cream the soft butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the mixture until light and fluffy
  • Add the eggs one by one, beating well 
  • Add the lemon zest, stir well
  • Sift the flour and the baking powder so the baking powder is divided nicely 
  • Gently fold the ingredients together and combine well
  • Transfer the dough into the prepared cake tin and put in the preheated oven for 45 minutes
  • After 45 minutes ass the lemon peel to the top of the cake, bake for a further 15 minutes
  • Decorate with a soft dusting of icing sugar

This cake keeps for 3-4 days in an airtight container.

You might also like
Kentish Cobnut cake
Chocolate beetroot and walnut cake


13 comments:

  1. I so enjoy reading about food history. Thanks for this lovely background story. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I have to make this cake! I am having a crappy week and could use some lovely homemade cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you, this cake will make you feel beter, first you can work on your frustrations when you beat the dough and then you get the smells that fill the kitchen and then the taste! X

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Your Madeira cake is perfect as well as extremely tempting and those pictures are delightful. A great post.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thank you for your kind words :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful!!!! I love your photos!

    besos

    Leti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunshine,cake and wine...delightful;)
    Learned something new here today, Thank you for that!
    Sarah
    AtticLace

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually pass on the madeira cake that you see in the shops but this has really made me want to bake one. Looks so rich and delicious. I like a plain, serious cake like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of a Torta Margherita that I made recently-- a really simple Italian cake that's great with coffee.

    I'd like to try this one too as it's not leavened with egg whites and it includes butter (mmm butter!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew this about Madeira cake - I always assumed it contained Madeira too. Absolutely wonderful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous17/5/13

    I love Madeira cake, and this one looks so delicious I will have to try it. Very pretty crockery too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for you comment, I love hearing from you!